Sunday, September 22, HiSKidZ, and their families, will be “XP”eriencing church in a special way. TJ Regul, the Quad City Magician and a part of the Bettendorf Christian Church will be with us to share the gospel through illusion. Jesus often taught people using ordinary and available objects to help them understand the teaching of Scripture and a new way of thinking. Sometimes, Jesus used observation and sometimes He chose to work through miracles. While there is nothing miraculous about illusions at the XP, slight of hand “magic” is a powerful tool to engage children to hear the message of the gospel.
Here’s Something New:
This month, our XP will include families. On XP Sunday during the 10:30 service, parents and grandparents are invited to attend KidZChurch with the kids! While we realize this means you will miss the ‘big church” service that day. (We encourage you to attend 9am service or watch the next week when the sermon is posted online for Sunday’s “big church” teaching.) We are being very intentional about our desire for you to attend with your child.
Here are a few reasons why:
1) We believe that when you get a glimpse of what HiSKidZ experience in KidZChurch it will allow you to have deeper conversation with your children at home and with those in the community. You will be able to speak first hand about the excellence of our children’s programs.
2) Families new to XP’s often feel a bit nervous to leave their children, and their children are a bit nervous being dropped off at the church. When family gets to stay with their children they learn along with their child while feeling more comfortable.
3) You will have an opportunity to connect with other families–those from our church and those who are new.
4) You can sit together with those you invite to the XP, helping them to feel comfortable and answering any questions they may have about our church.
5) Children will have opportunity to help TJ with some of his illusions. We know you won’t want to miss if it’s your children who gets to help!
6) Attending together allows our families to connect in a whole new way!
7) It’s magic! And just about everyone loves a good magic show! Add in the gospel, and it’s a win-win!!
Ephesians 5 instructs us to live as “children of the light, to be imitators of God as dearly loved children, and to live a life of love”. It goes on to say that we should have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them, and to be careful how we live, making the most of every opportunity because the days are evil. We are called not to be foolish, but rather to understand what God’s will is.
This month’s FAMILY XP offers us a great opportunity to present the gospel, invite friends to church, and connect as church family. It allows us to shine the light of Jesus in our community. Let’s be wise, live out God’s will for us to reach people with the love of Jesus and make the most of the opportunity by committing to attend and to invite a family you know to attend with you!
For more information about the Sunday XP for children in Prek-6th grade, see Ms Dawn.